This article is a follow up to our previous article, “Is My Home Right For Airbnb?” In that article, we discussed how to assess whether your property is suitable for the short-term rental market. In this article, we will discuss how to prepare your property for accepting guests. If you haven’t read the previous article, we recommend you do so before continuing.
Is My Home Ready For Airbnb?
A few important things to consider when deciding if your home is ready to list on Airbnb.
Setting the Standard
As the short-term rental industry matures, guests are becoming discerning travellers, demanding more than just a place to lay their heads. Cosmo understands the changing landscape, and to consistently ensure exceptional stays for guests, we have established "Minimum Standards" that every Airbnb property under our management is required to meet. If you are planning to self-manage your property, we recommend you consider these standards to ensure your guests have a great stay.
Let's dive into the details of these standards and ensure your property stands out in a crowded market.
Cosmo’s Minimum Standards
Cosmo has curated a standard list of amenities that all properties must have to guarantee that your guests enjoy a comfortable and delightful stay. Beyond amenities, we encourage owners to furnish their properties with home decor and personal touches to make the guests feel settled at home.
|Entire Home||Tested and Approved Smoke Detectors|
|Entire Home||Smart Locks and Security Systems|
|Kitchen||Cutlery, Glassware & Crockery|
|Kitchen||Dishwasher or Dish Rack|
|Kitchen||Rubbish & Recyling Bins|
|Bedrooms||Bed Linen & Inserts|
|Bedrooms||Pillows & Throws|
|Bedrooms||Bedside Table/Nightstand & Lamps|
|Bedrooms||Portable Fan/Heater (if no A/C)|
|Bedrooms||Closet or Drawers|
|Living||Dining Table & Chairs|
|Living||Couch & Throw Pillows|
|Living||WiFi Modem or Router|
|Living||Placemats & Pads|
|Bathrooms||Towel Rack or Wall Hook|
|Laundry||Dryer or Drying Rack|
|Laundry||Iron & Ironing Board|
|Other.||First Aid Kit|
|Other||Mop & Bucket|
|Other||Broom & Dustpan|
If you have just purchased a property and you’re starting with a blank canvas, wonderful! We’ve established a valuable partnership with Peachy Styling, a Melbourne-based company committed to transforming your investment into a beautiful, flexible, and functional space.
Home Sweet Home
At Cosmo, we're dedicated to delivering top-notch experiences to our guests. To achieve this, owners must ensure their property meets our minimum property standards, including everything from amenities to fixtures and safety regulations. Once the property is under our management, we kickstart the journey with an initial clean and inspection. We also prioritise professional photography to showcase your property in the best light possible, and we are happy to connect you with our trusted partners. We recommend you consider the following when preparing your property for guests:
- Safety: Guests expect a safe property, free of hazards and dangers. We recommend having your property inspected by a licensed electrician and plumber to ensure all systems are safe and up to code.
- Durability: Your property will be used by many guests, so it is essential to furnish your property with durable furniture and fixtures. We recommend you avoid cheap furniture and fixtures that will not last, as replacement costs will quickly add up, and downtime will impact your earnings.
- Privacy: Guests expect a private property, free of unwanted intrusions. We recommend you remove all personal items from your property and secure any items you wish to keep. We also recommend you install window coverings to ensure privacy.
The Key to Convenience
No one likes the hassel of calling a locksmith. To ensure smooth check-ins, Cosmo has a clear expectation that every property is securely fitted with a digital door lock, lock box or the use of a host to conduct a key handover. Where physical keys are necessary, we require a minimum of three sets of keys to be provided. We recommend you consider the following when setting up your key management system:
- Convenience: Guests expect easy access to your property, so it is crucial to reduce the friction of check-in. Less is more for a tired traveller.
- Security: Guests expect a secure property, so it is essential to have a secure system in place to manage keys and keep your property, and the guests inside, safe.
- Reliability: Guests must be able to get into your property at any time, so it is essential to have a reliable system in place to manage keys. Cheaper solutions are typically less reliable.
In all cases where the property can physically accommodate a digital door lock, we firmly recommend this option. Digital door locks are a convenient and secure way to provide guests with access to your property. They also allow you to remotely manage access to your property, which is especially useful if you are self-managing your property. While a larger upfront investment, digital door locks are a worthwhile investment that will save you time and money in the long run.
The Power of Connectivity
Wi-Fi has become more of a necessity than a luxury. That’s why Cosmo highly recommends homeowners to set up Wi-Fi at their properties. Guests rely on Wi-Fi for work-related tasks, staying in touch with loved ones, and planning their trips. Installing Wi-Fi creates a more inviting and convenient space for your guests and keeps your property competitive with other listings in the area.
Cosmo is lucky to have technology partners that can help you set up Wi-Fi at your property, and we would be happy to connect you with them. We recommend you consider the following when setting up Wi-Fi:
- Speed: Guests expect fast internet, so we recommend a minimum speed of 25 Mbps.
- Data: Guests use a lot of data, so we recommend unlimited data plans.
- Security: Guests expect secure internet, so we recommend a strong password and a guest network. Do not operate an open network.
Ready to Go?
At Cosmo, our mission is to ensure your property is well-equipped and primed for success in the short-term rental market. We’re deeply committed to capturing earnings and satisfying guests, which is why our minimum standards are given top priority during onboarding. If your property is in its final stages of management readiness or you’d like more insights and support regarding Cosmo’s minimum standards, please don’t hesitate to reach out. If you’re ready to get started, click the button below to begin your journey with Cosmo.
By Jess Webster
Subscribe to our newsletter to get the latest news and updates from Cosmo.